VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Ddavllc
T1Joe
6 posters

Door/Window assembly order

T1Joe
    T1Joe

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2013-11-18

Door/Window assembly order Empty Door/Window assembly order

Post by T1Joe Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Hello again. I hope I'm not clogging the board up too much, but once again, your time is appreciated. So I have my passenger side door disassembled, and am set to replace all of the felt runners and seals involved. Taking something apart doesn't necessarily translate in the right order of how something has to go back together. Right now the door is pretty much stripped down. Its still attached to the van, and the handles for opening it work. But all of the window seals, separation bar, glass window, and runners are all out. I have attempted a few times to get this back together right, and managed to ruin the long felt window runner that runs up the side of the door, and bends around the top, over to the vent window bar. I know all that I have tried has been done in the wrong order. If anyone could help, or point me in a direction that might help, that would be great. Thank you so much for your help and time. - joe
    Ddavllc
    Ddavllc

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2013-11-07

Door/Window assembly order Empty Re: Door/Window assembly order

Post by Ddavllc Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I two have ruined a couple sets of runners.. I found the the rubber backed one bent the easiest but the
    Installation clips that were (molded) attached were in the wrong place. Hummmm plus you have to buy the entire set just to get the runners. I have a few spare of everything else that comes in the kit if anyone need them... Question 
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Door/Window assembly order Empty Door Window disassembly order

Post by Carl Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 pm

In order to take the door window out (from the Econoline shop manual) 1. Remove the door access panel. 2. Roll the glass down and disconnect the regulator arm from the roller by pulling the clip from the roller. 3. Loosen the window regulator handle set screw and remove the handle. 4. Remove the 4 regulator retaining screws and remove the regulator. 5. Remove the 5 division bar retaining screws. -1 at the lower adjustment bracket with nut; 1 at the center below the belt line; 1 at the vent frame retainer through the weatherstrip; 2 at the top of the door. 6. Carefully pry the upper run channel down at the 1st clip rearward of the division bar and remove the division bar. 7 Disconnect both back control links at the door latch. Remove the push button and link from the door. 8. Push the door glass up, position the latch remote control link outboard of the glass and remove the glass down and out trough the access hole... so then as you not have to take the glass run channel out to get the window out; -just pry away at the 1st clip by the division bar. Put the run channel in before the window, but don't snap it in at the last clip where the division bar goes. To assemble, do steps in reverse.
    T1Joe
    T1Joe

Post by T1Joe Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you so much Carl, that is going to be a huge help. Do you think it would be helpful to prebend the run channel around the window, before its installed to get the basic shape of they way that it will sit ? Even though I ruined my last run channel in other ways, I noticed there was one point where it kinked, which would have been a bummer in the end. I guess its good that I messed it up worse on something else. Thank you sir.
    - joe
    Carl

Door/Window assembly order Empty Re: Prebend run channel

Post by Carl Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:29 pm

I did read somewhere where that was done; and it was in the Dennis-Carpenter catalog, at the end of the truck parts sectiion; where they have a step-by-step photo demonstration on how to do a door window on a F-100 pickup. Did the Econoline the same way. You can download that 57-66 pickup with 61-67 Econoline @ www.dennis-carpenter.com
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 am

This is a great post and I dont think there has been much posted on this on this forum..Im sure a few guys have done it but any pics or instructions havent been posted. I am getting ready to reassemble both my window mechanisms completely, with all new gaskets, seals fuzzies channel runs, etc... Im hoping that I can avoid the "ruining" of new parts cuz that just sucks!

Im well aware after removing it all that it has to be done a certain way in order to avoid damaging/reinstalling pieces.

Joe, your not clogging up anything with 11 post and this is a great question..feel free to take a pic or two if you make some progress and I'll try to do the same.
    Carl

Door/Window assembly order Empty Door/Window assembly order

Post by Carl Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:30 pm

One problem I had was when I put the door glass run in, -it did not alighn well with the new window "fuzzies", so I had to take them out (ruining them so bought a new set) anyway, comparing the new with the original ones, -the new ones not bent at the curve as much as the old, so bent the new ones at the curve to match the old. -so something to check before you put in the new fuzzies.
    bmurphyl512
    bmurphyl512

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2014-10-08

Post by bmurphyl512 Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:02 pm

I am also putting new felt and door seals in my 61 pickup. Does anyone have a picture of which way the rubber for the back edge of the window goes in. Mine didn't have one to look at before i took it apart.

Thanks,
    Brendan
    T1Joe
    T1Joe

Post by T1Joe Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Brendan,
    Which "back edge" of the window are you talking about. Do you mean the vent window ? Please let me know. I can help.
    - joe
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Ddavllc wrote:I two have ruined a couple sets of runners.. I found the the rubber backed one bent the easiest but the
    Installation clips that were (molded) attached were in the wrong place. Hummmm plus you have to buy the entire set just to get the runners. I have a few spare of everything else that comes in the kit if anyone need them... Question 

You don't have to buy the whole set. Cat whiskers, flexible channel run and division bar channel are all sold separately.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:19 pm